Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Summer 2014 Book Challenge!

Megan, over at semi-charmed kind of life, leads some super fun reading challenges.  I have never done a book challenge - but I am ready, since I have recently dived head first into my love for books.  Go check out her blog and read the introduction post (including the rules for the challenge) right here

I really enjoy these challenges because they tend to make me read books that I normally wouldn't choose!  It's fun to branch out a little and read some new books!  

Here are the categories for this challenge:

5 points: Freebie!  Read any book that is at least 200 pages long.
10 points: Read a book that was written before you were born.
10 points: Finish reading a book you couldn't finish the first time around.  (You must have at least 150 pages left in the book to use it for this category.)
10 points: Read a book from the children's section of the library or bookstore.
15 points: Read a book that is on The New York Times' Best Sellers List when you began reading it.
15 points: Read a historical fiction book that does not take place in Europe.
15 points: Read a book another blogger has already read for the challenge.  (Yes, you will have to wait until the first check-in to choose this book!  So no one will be able to finish this challenge in only one month; sorry!)
20 points: Read a book with "son(s)," "daughter(s)" or "children(ren)" in the title.  No other words will count -- including kids, offspring, etc. -- so please don't ask.  :)
20 points: Read a book that was/will be adapted to film in 2014.  (Here are 16 ideas to get you started, but I know there are plenty more options.)
25 points: Read a book written by a blogger.  (Submitted by Jessica of The Tangerine.)
25 points: Read a biography, autobiography or memoir.
30 points: Read a pair of books with antonyms in the titles.

Here are the books that I have chosen for my preliminary list of books to read for the challenge.  Some of these books may change as I progress through this challenge, but this is what I'm thinking I'll read right now!

5 points: Freebie: Where'd You Go, Bernadette By:  Maria Semple
10 points: Written before you were born:  Pride and Prejudice By: Jane Austen
10 points: Finish book from before: Safe Haven By: Nicholas Sparks
10 points: Children's section: The One and Only Ivan By: Applegate
15 points: New York Times' Best Seller: Husband's Secret
15 points: Historical fiction: Sarah's Key
15 points: Book another blogger has read for challenge: Gone Girl
20 points: "Son(s)," "daughter(s)," or "child(ren)" in title: The Housemaid's Daughter By: Barbara Much
20 points: Book adapted to film in 2014: Winter's Tale By: Mark Helprin
25 points: Written by blogger: ?
25 points: Biography, autobiography, or memoir: ? Finding Me
30 points: Pair of books with antonyms in titles: One Thousand White Women and The One and Only


Hopefully things go well with this.  I am excited about my list so far!


4 comments:

  1. I also am interested in reading some of the books you have chosen for the challenge. And I loved Safe Haven - but I love anything by Nicholas Sparks! New follower from Beyond The Gradebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sarah - I love him! Such a good read that leaves you with a smile (most times)

      Delete
  2. Winter's Tale is the Colin Farrell movie, right? I love me some Colin, so I might have to read that one too if you enjoy it. ;) Welcome to the challenge and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I still haven't read this one, but I am looking forward to it!

      Delete