Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lent - A time for reflecting

SRT-Lent2015_instagram1

Ok, if you haven't ever spent time on SHEREADSTRUTH > you need to go there.  I love my daily emails.  Helps me most days to quite the background noise and focus on something real to pray for, about or to.   I am so overwhelmed with these words that are completely relate-able and real.  Right now in my life I need the realness and I need to engross myself in the word of God.  I feel completely at home when I am a church now, and I will be perfectly honest I cannot remember half of everybody's names, and that normally makes me completely clammy.  I am home in the idea that I am exactly where I need to be.  For once I feel that peace and security like I have found my spiritual home.

So that brings me to yesterday, Ash Wednesday, not something I have ever celebrated.  However, the nasty weather prevented me from actually partaking in the actual service at the church.  I spent my first Ash Wednesday in spirit with one of my good friends, Natalie, who I think is very instrumental in my faith at the moment.  She sent me a wonderful email that got me on the right track to start the day out right.  For lent, I have decided to keep it simple at least I think so.  I have given up Social Media for lent. I believe it takes up too much of my time and I am glad to turn them off and turn God on and up in my life.  I am also following along with some more catholic tendencies, with no meat on Fridays and I am fasting Monday's Wednesday's and Friday's.

I prayed this prayer found on shereadstruth here it is as follows:
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wickedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

What powerful words.  I am looking forward to this season of lent and my spiritual growth!


No comments:

Post a Comment